Mage: Rise of the Golden Age
Changling PC Guidelines
Rise of the New Age will be a Mage and Changeling integrated game. This means that players are welcome to play a Changeling character instead of a Mage if they wish. Here are some guidelines for thinking about your Changeling Character.
- New Changeling is dramatically different from Old Changeling. Where as Old Changeling, from my understanding, was very broken with players playing rather outlandish Fae, New Changeling sticks closely to the general theme of New White Wolf: Extraordinary events happening to ordinary people. Changelings are humans who found themselves transported into Arcadia and forced into some type of slavery. You could have been kidnapped, tricked into going, or have somehow accidentally wandered there of your own volition. Your True Fae captor can be as ridiculous, outlandish, and cruel as you can imagine since they’re nothing like humans. But the vast majority of Changelings, once they escaped, try their damnedest to return to some semblance of a normal life. See the core book for more details.
- Your character must be able to function in society. You may start with a slightly lower Clarity if you wish, but you still need to be able to interact with other people. Like I’ve said before, there’s nothing more frustrating as a Storyteller than having PCs who are incapable of interacting with one another.
- Changelings are secretive, very few people will even know that Changelings exist. Different areas will be different, of course, but for the most part not many will have a lot of knowledge about Changelings. And Changelings prefer to keep it that way.
- You must have some standing with the Changeling Freehold in Killarney. You may be from where ever in the world you like, but for whatever reasons you decide, you found yourself in Killarney. Some ideas: You could have escaped from the Hedge in Killarney, you could have moved to Killarney, you could be a traveling Changeling who has connections to several Freeholds, Killarney being one of them. Killarney is where you will be starting from though.
- A rough overview of Changelings in Ireland: For all of Ireland, there is one Freehold, its seat being in Killarney. It is currently ruled by the Summer court, though all courts are open to players. They have a tenuous alliance with the Killarney Consilium as the forest of Killarney National Park is home to the thinnest area of the Hedge (and the Gauntlet for that matter) in the entire world. The Mages generally let them do as they wish and occasionally attempt to coordinate efforts with them. Some Changelings in the Freehold have grown an appreciation for the Mages. Others not so much. You can chose your feelings on the matter.
- A rough overview of current Changeling/Mage politics stands thusly: Changelings do not trust Mages. Especially Acanthus mages due to the fact that the True Fae Realm has the same name as the realm that Acanthus mages draw their magic from: Arcadia. However, there have been a small number of Changeling/Mage hybrids who have been working to ease communications. These NPCs will be your contacts and tie ins to the story.
- The Revelation (the event that we ended at last time) caused a dramatic shift in the Realms. As such, the Hedge (the border between the Fallen World and Arcadia) has become thinner. This means not only is it easier for humans (or Mages) to cross into Arcadia, but it is also easier for True Fae to cross into the Material Realm to collect new slaves or hunt down those who have escaped. This poses a threat to both Changelings, Mages, and Sleepers alike. Changeling society is not happy with Mages for this shift, but there are those who are trying to persuade them to work with Mages to help protect everybody.
- No Changeling/Mage hybrids will be allowed for PCs at this time. It has the potential for making the character very broken, but also lowers your power level; you’d be given the same amount of experience to spread over two sets of stats so you’d be at a severe disadvantage.
I believe that its for now. Just trying to paint the picture of the world your character will be living in. Any questions, let me know.